We have been using AI at Mostly Serious for quite some time, from lead scoring in popular sales and marketing tools like HubSpot to custom integrations that make translating content easy and affordable. In addition to using AI to improve outcomes for our clients, we have created an intentional focus on bringing ChatGPT Plus to every team member as a personal AI assistant, building additional custom AI solutions within our preferred ecosystem, and investing time and money in AI to enhance our internal operations. This work, along with our partnerships with many nonprofit organizations, has helped us understand the benefits of AI and the limitations and challenges in bringing ChatGPT and similar tools into your organization's workflow.
This workshop aims to assist in making ChatGPT more approachable, unlocking the powerful features available to nonprofits, and highlighting the limitations of AI.
Setting Up ChatGPT
If you don't already have a ChatGPT account, getting set up is fast and free. Go to the ChatGPT Website and click the "sign up" button. You can create an account with your email address or sign up with your Google, Microsoft, or Apple account. Continue the signup process to verify your phone number and confirm your email address. Once logged in, you will be taken to the ChatGPT dashboard. Familiarize yourself with the interface and start your first chat.
Meet Sunshine Nonprofit
Today, we will walk in the shoes (aka mechanical feet) of SerenaBot, the newest team member at Sunshine Nonprofit, an organization dedicated to providing solar-powered solutions to off-grid communities. SerenaBot has a list of tasks she needs to accomplish, and AI can be the perfect assistant to support her work. As we go through the tasks below, I encourage you to replace Sunshine Nonprofit with your organization to see how AI will manage tasks directly related to your day-to-day needs.
We'll be tackling the following tasks:
- Basic Communication: We'll walk through the essentials of communication. Learn how ChatGPT can help write emails, summarize articles and documents, and have conversations about PDFs using plugins.
- Event Planning: We’ll brainstorm event ideas, create core materials to support the event, then create a highly detailed logistical checklist to keep our event on track from first promotion through cleanup.
- Marketing Plan & Tactics: We’ll use ChatGPT to brainstorm a six-month marketing plan to support our event; then, we’ll use it to create a rough draft social media schedule and press release that we can refine further.
- Volunteer Coordination: We’ll draft a targeted volunteer recruitment message and then use ChatGPT to assist in scheduling and assigning tasks to volunteers for the "Solar Sprint" Charity Fun Run.
- Grant Writing: We'll use ChatGPT's web browsing feature to assist in researching grant opportunities and requirements. Then, we'll have ChatGPT write a draft for a section of the grant.
If you'd like to see the full list of prompts without ChatGPT response examples, please visit this Notion page.